MTPV Power Corporation is looking for a well-rounded R&D Technician with experience in conducting R&D testing of mechanical and electrical prototype systems. As an integral part of the MTPV team, you will work hands-on with MTPV’s flagship technology as you assemble systems, execute experiments, analyze root causes, document discoveries, and assist in lab and field tests. In addition, you will assist in the improvement and maintenance of test facilities and associated infrastructure, oversee activities in the labs, and implement appropriate safety procedures.
In this unique opportunity, you will support the development and optimization of a revolutionary product that uses semiconductor chips to convert heat to electricity. To be successful in this position, you should be a resourceful, hands-on, problem solver with the capacity to quickly grasp and resolve a wide range of technical challenges.
This position focuses on cutting-edge technology in a fast-paced environment. We will rely on you to be a resourceful problem solver and quick learner. If you are looking for a position within a cutting-edge company and you enjoy complex and unique challenges, then you could be a good fit for the MTPV team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Participate in the execution of R&D experiments and other related development trials.
• Conduct the testing of prototypes and sub-components using scientific instrumentation.
• Assembly of prototypes, debugging of devices, preparation of subsystems for testing, and the development and execution of experiments.
• Document testing procedures, observations, and results in internal reports.
• Provide feedback to the R&D team based on the results and experiences from assembling, testing, and using prototype devices.
• Analyze test results, determine cause of failure, and document suggestions for improvements to device design and procedures.
• Adjust and rework assemblies using fine precision manipulation tools, such as microscopes, tweezers, and soldering irons.
• Follow and enforce safety protocol.
• Maintain a clean, neat, orderly test facility.
• Perform general and preventative maintenance of the testing facility, including general purpose low voltage wiring, basic plumbing, light carpentry, and servicing of medium duty mechanical and electrical equipment.
• Minimum of 2-5 years’ experience in hardware/software testing environments.
• Proven ability to solve technical problems, and provide robust solutions.
• Team player with good communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to multi-task.
• Experience with electrical systems and mechanical systems.
• Detail oriented, self-starter capable of managing own activities as well as supporting team activities.
• Ability to work within a cleanroom environment.
• Ability to travel domestically.
• Ability to move/position items up to 50 pounds.
Specific Job Functions and Experience:
• Leveraging of fine motor skills and a creative skillset for the development, assembly, debugging, and testing of novel fixtures.
• Soldering and bonding of mechanical and electrical components.
• Experience with materials with intended uses in high-temperature environments.
• Execute assembly requiring precise alignment, sometimes without the use of fixtures.
• Use of digital multi-meters and similar instruments to test or debug electrical wiring.
• Ability to read wiring diagrams and mechanical drawings.
• Use of taps, dies, drills and other machining hand tools.
• Meticulous and efficient in performing all duties related to the technical work.
• General computing skills, including working with the Microsoft Office software suite (e.g., Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
Additional skills that will enhance a candidate’s ability to be successful in this position:
• Experience with lab-based software applications such as MATLAB.
• Experience with automated test methods and tools, specifically National Instruments (NI) Lab View software, NI hardware including CRio, and associated modules.
• Experience with basic programing and detailed parameter setting of lab equipment, control devices, monitors and other devices.
• Experience in working with small parts and assemblies, sometimes needing the use of magnification or microscopes.
• Experience working within cleanroom environments.
• Experience with industrial HVAC, vacuum, and furnace products and systems.
• Technical certification or degree in a related field such as Manufacturing Technology, Electromechanical or Electrical/Electronic Technology, or the equivalent in-job experience.
MTPV offers a challenging and exciting environment for careers of all levels in the innovative world of clean energy. At MTPV, you will work alongside an impressive international team of executives, researchers, engineers, interns and professionals that represent over 385 years of combined experience, 50 college degrees including 10 Ph.D.’s and 20 Master’s degrees, over 460 publications and more than 140 awarded patents.
We value our employees and their contributions and have a team-focused approach to our success. MTPV offers a competitive benefits package including health and other insurances, tuition reimbursement, 401k and great locations to grow your career.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit their resume to email@example.com. Please reference “Assembly Technician” in the subject line. ONLY candidates that apply via e-mail will be considered. NO phone calls please.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.