Mechanical Systems Engineer
MTPV Power Corporation is hiring a Mechanical Systems Engineer in Austin, TX with experience designing, maintaining, and supporting balance of system components to assist the company in its efforts to commercialize its energy products.
This position is a unique opportunity to support the development and optimization of innovative MTPV products which combine tightly integrated thermal and mechanical performance that converts heat to electricity. Therefore, this candidate must be experienced in or possess the skills to design and manage balance of systems for thermal management and cooling, maintaining devices under vacuum or pressure, and failsafe mechanisms. The successful candidate will provide input to support automation and controls design.
In order to be successful in this position, the candidate should be a resourceful, hands-on problem-solver with the capacity to quickly grasp and resolve a wide range of technical challenges.
If you are seeking a position with a cutting-edge company who loves a fast-paced environment and enjoys solving highly complex technical problems, we encourage you to read through the next sections which describe the type of experience and education we are looking for in a successful candidate for this position.
- Support the design, procurement, testing, implementation and scaling of existing and new balance of systems for MTPV devices.
- Demonstrate hands-on development, improvement, and operation of BOS systems
- Practice DFX methodologies for cooling, electromechanical, pneumatic and controls philosophy to address engineering issues across the product life cycle, particularly Design for Manufacturability, Reliability, Serviceability, and Cost.
- Coordinate with co-workers, technicians, consultants, and vendors/partners.
- Actively support the execution of tests at MTPV’s Lifetime testing facility in Austin
- Provide product feedback based on experimental data and test results
- Collaborate with MTPV design engineers, researchers, and leadership to support product development objectives, including engineering calculations, Solidworks design, and producing specifications for product components
- Coordinate and perform literature research for identification of improvement for systems and processes.
- Specify, select, and source water pumps, heat exchangers, motorized actuators, cooling systems, and interconnecting plumbing/pneumatics for various heavy industries (steel, glass, oil & gas)
- Hands-on assistance as-needed to set up experiments in the lab
- Participate in the design review process for product and balance of systems
- Interact with various research organizations and commercial entities.
- B.S., M.S. or Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering or other related technical field.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a related area
- Proficient use of Solidworks for 3D part design and generating associated fabrication/assembly drawings
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of mechanical engineering, thermal-fluid systems, and the testing of thermal-electro-mechanical devices.
- Hands-on experience in design, fabrication and testing prototypes and products.
- Comprehension of piping, instrumentation, and wiring diagrams
- Experience with the management of technical projects, the use of Design of Experiments (DOE), and root cause failure analysis.
- Proven ability to solve complex analytical problems and provide robust solutions.
- Team player with strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Independent and energetic personality with the ability to multi-task.
- Ability to travel both domestically and internationally.
- The following experience will be favorably considered:
- Design and optimization of energy systems
- Experience in oil field equipment design
- Exposure to energy systems in the clean energy sector
- Knowledge of combustion heat transfer
- In-depth knowledge of mechanical engineering disciplines related to thermal-fluid systems, machine elements, and product design.
- Working knowledge and experience in designing, implementing and operating cooling systems.
- Working knowledge and experience in designing, implementing and operating systems under vacuum conditions.
- Working knowledge and experience in working with inverters, power grids, or other related electrical transmission systems.
- Experience in mechanical and electrical control systems for monitoring and managing complex equipment or processes.
- Hands-on ability to work with tools and perform light fabrication, soldering, light plumbing, low voltage electrical and other mechanical tasks.
- Experience in environments with proactive HSE policies
MTPV offers a challenging and exciting environment for careers of all levels in the innovative world of clean energy. At MTPV, you will work alongside an impressive international team of executives, researchers, engineers, and professionals.
We value our employees and their contributions and have a team-focused approach to our success. We offer a competitive benefits package including health and other insurances, tuition reimbursement, 401k, and great locations to grow your career such as Boston, MA or Austin, TX.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit their resume to email@example.com. Please reference “Mechanical Systems Engineer” in the subject line. ONLY candidates that apply via e-mail will be considered. NO phone calls please.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
An Equal Opportunity Employer