Power Electronics Engineer
Medford, MA (Greater Boston Area)
MTPV Power Corporation creates clean energy systems, converting heat into electricity using semiconductor chips. Just as solar panels turn sunlight into electricity, we can turn any heat source into clean power.
Are you passionate about renewable energy, technology, and high power solutions? Do you enjoy a fast-paced environment and can solve highly complex technical problems? We are looking for a well-rounded Power Electronics Engineer with new product development and systems development experience to assist the company in its efforts to commercialize heat-to-power systems for industrial-scale applications.
This position is a unique opportunity to support the development and optimization of unique MTPV products, which combine tightly integrated high power electrical, thermal, mechanical, and systems level performance. This candidate must therefore be experienced in the design and optimization of power electronics and associated components.
To be successful in this position, you should be a resourceful, hands-on problem-solver with the capacity to quickly grasp and resolve a wide range of technical challenges.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the design, fabrication, and testing of existing and new designs for MTPV systems, with a particular focus on solving high power electronics engineering challenges at the scale of kilowatts to hundreds of kilowatts.
- Demonstrate hands-on development and improvement of MTPV prototypes and products.
- Participate in experiments at MTPV’s R&D lab relating to systems with tight power electronics and system level integration.
- Conduct or assist in the testing of subcomponents of MTPV products and prototypes.
- Interact with design engineers and researchers on the detailed electro-thermomechanical integration of key electronic components.
- Implement DFX methodologies to address engineering issues across the product life cycle, particularly Design for Manufacturability, Reliability, Serviceability and Cost.
- Coordinate and perform literature research for identification of improvement methodologies and processes.
- Coordinate the work of co-workers, technicians and consultants.
- Interact with various research organizations and commercial companies in pursuit of solutions that satisfy customer needs at the product and systems level.
- S., M.S., or PhD in Electrical Engineering or other related technical field.
- A minimum of 5 years of power electronics design and implementation experience in an industry setting.
- Experience in the design of high power electronics systems.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of core Electrical Engineering disciplines.
- Solid knowledge of analog circuit, digital circuit and control theories.
- Knowledge of and experience with amplifier & switch circuits, including single-phase and three‐phase prime power, 500W to 100kW output power and 5V DC to 18kV DC output voltages.
- Experience implementing converter technology, such as DC-to-AC conversion with minimized losses.
- Experience with simulation tools such as SPICE or MathWorks Simulink.
- Experience with PCB layout and Gerber file generation.
- Electrical schematic drawing experience.
- Soldering experience.
- Hands-on experience in design, fab, and test.
- Experience with management of technical projects, the use of design of experiments (DOE), and root cause failure analysis.
- Proven ability to solve complex analytical problems and provide robust solutions.
- Team player with strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Independent and energetic personality with the ability to multi-task.
- Ability to travel both domestically and internationally.
- Exposure and/or experience with the following is considered a plus:
- Demonstrated experience in the design and optimization of energy conversion systems, while addressing complex, multi-faceted engineering challenges at the systems level.
- Exposure to energy systems in the clean energy sectors.
- Knowledge of automation control systems.
- Automation programming skills, such as PLC, DSP, and knowledge of MS 51 and TMS.
- Knowledge of industry bus protocols, such has MODBUS and PROFIBUS.
- DC Power conditioning.
- Inverter design.
- Signal (current) loops.
- Instrumentation wiring.
- Signal conditioning and processing.
- Dynamic systems and controls.
- Diode diagnostics.
- Stepper/servo motor tuning.
- Programming, especially in PLC applications.
- Vacuum chamber electrical systems (electrical behavior in vacuums).
- Power electronics which can be integrated with solid-state and vacuum electronic devices, such as klystrons and traveling wave tubes.
- Experience deploying materials with thermal interfacing properties (such as to achieve reduced thermal resistance, heat spreading, or superior cooling) to support high power electronic component designs and integration.
MTPV offers a challenging and exciting environment for careers of all levels in the innovative world of clean energy. At MTPV, you will work alongside an impressive international team of executives, researchers, engineers, interns and professionals that represent over 385 years of combined experience, 50 college degrees including 10 Ph.D.’s and 20 Master’s degrees, over 460 publications and more than 140 awarded patents. We value our employees and their contributions and have a team-focused approach to our success with great locations to grow your career such as Boston, MA or Austin, TX.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference “Power Electronics Engineer” in the subject line. ONLY candidates that apply via e-mail will be considered. NO phone calls please.
An Equal Opportunity Employer