Sr. Mechanical Design Engineer
MTPV Power Corporation is hiring a Sr. Mechanical Design Engineer in Austin, TX with new product development and systems development experience to assist the company in commercializing existing solutions and to support the creation of new solutions, taking them from concepts and prototypes to commercialized products.
This position provides a unique opportunity to drive the development and optimization of MTPV products which combine tightly integrated thermal and mechanical performance. The ideal candidate will be experienced in thermal and mechanical design as well as in the analysis of tightly coupled thermal-mechanical systems.
In order to be successful in this position, you should be a resourceful, hands-on problem-solver with the capacity to quickly grasp and resolve a wide range of technical challenges.
If you are someone looking for a position with a cutting-edge company who loves a fast-paced environment and enjoys solving highly complex technical problems, then we encourage you to read through the next sections which describe the type of experience and education we are looking for in a successful candidate for this position.
- Lead the design, fabrication, and testing of existing and new designs for MTPV devices and systems.
- Drive hands-on development and improvement of MTPV prototypes and products.
- Implement DFX methodologies to address engineering issues across the product life cycle, particularly Design for Manufacturability, Reliability, Serviceability, and Cost.
- Define and supervise experiments at MTPV’s R&D lab relating to systems with tight thermal and mechanical integration.
- Conduct or oversee the testing of subcomponents of MTPV products and prototypes.
- Interact with MTPV design engineers and researchers on the detailed thermal-mechanical integration of key semiconductor components.
- Design and optimize vacuum systems.
- B.S. or M.S in Mechanical Engineering or other closely related technical field, and a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience.
- Experience in tightly coupled thermo-mechanical prototype and product design, development and testing.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of mechanical engineering, thermal engineering and the testing of thermal-mechanical devices.
- Demonstrated experience in taking products/processes from concept through development.
- Hands-on experience in design, fab, and testing.
- Experience with management of technical projects, the use of design of experiments (DOE), and root cause failure analysis.
- Proven ability to solve complex analytical problems and provide robust solutions.
- Experience building products for volume production.
- Ability to define and implement policies and procedures in support of rigorous change control, release management, etc.
- Team player with strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Independent and energetic personality with the ability to multi-task.
- Ability to travel both domestically and internationally.
- Exposure to the following is considered a plus:
- Experience in the design and optimization of energy conversion systems, while addressing complex, multi-faceted engineering challenges at the systems level.
- Experience in the design of thermal management systems (such as cooling plates, heat sinks, etc.).
- Experience with energy systems in the clean energy sectors.
- Knowledge in combustion heat transfer.
Qualifications / Required Skills:
- In depth knowledge of mechanical engineering and thermal engineering disciplines.
- Experience using CAD software to create 3d models and 2d drawings (Solidworks preferred).
- Experience with engineering design practices (tolerance stack-ups, GD&T, etc).
- Fabrication methods for manufacturing (e.g. CNC, laser/water cutting, molds, photoetching, etc).
- Test procedure design and execution.
- Continuous improvement and optimization.
- Data gathering and analysis software experience preferred (e.g. Matlab or Labview).
- Structural FEA experience preferred (e.g. ANSYS or Solidworks Simulation).
- Fluid dynamics experience preferred (e.g. Fluent or Solidworks Flow Simulation).
MTPV offers a challenging and exciting environment for careers of all levels in the innovative world of clean energy. At MTPV, you will work alongside an impressive international team of executives, researchers, engineers, and professionals. We provide a competitive compensation and benefits package and an enriching career in the clean energy technology domain.
We value our employees and their contributions and have a team-focused approach to our success with great locations to grow your career in Boston, MA and Austin, TX.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit their resume to email@example.com. Please reference “Sr. Mechanical Design Engineer” in the subject line. ONLY candidates that apply via e-mail will be considered. NO phone calls please.
An Equal Opportunity Employer